Monday, May 25, 2009

Background Design

Background art was the first things I drew in this animation. It makes it easier later to animate because then I would already know the relative placements of the characters or any other animated element. All 2D background elements were created in Flash itself.

For inspiration, I relied heavily on Samurai Jack episodes for reference.



The design of the 3D temple, created in 3DS Max was inspired by a building in Samurai Jack episode 'Samurai vs Samurai'.



For color choice, I had specific color palettes that I wanted to use. (picky for a red/green color blind person) For exterior shots, I wanted to use a cool blue color scheme.

As the character entered the fortress, the blue starts to fade, then changes to a bit gray.

When reaching the alter, where the artifact is placed, a dark yet warm environment is present.

The underground scenes consists of a bright warm color scheme. Most of the light comes from the underground lava pit. (Nobody seems to have commented on the lava though, maybe I colored it wrong)

Then as the scenes move back upwards, the colors go back to being the cool blue.

Choosing contrasting color schemes for different environments helps keep the audience entertained and also helps audiences differentiate one environment from another.

No comments:

Post a Comment